- 01/17/2018 - With more snowstorms coming to the Alps this week, bearded vultures are… breeding!
- 01/16/2018 - An European vulture in Mauritania - and an African one in Spain
- 01/15/2018 - New paper: eggshell thickness from bearded vulture eggs from the Pyrenees decreased abruptly after 2004
- 01/14/2018 - Two cinereous vultures found dead, presumably poisoned, in Dadia (Greece)
- 01/13/2018 - Two griffons born in Amsterdam zoo transported to Sardinia to restock the wild population
- 01/12/2018 - Tagging of Ruppell´s vultures – in Africa and Spain
- 01/11/2018 - The VCF is hiring 3 new staff members!
- 01/10/2018 - Why do foraging Spanish vultures stop at the border with Portugal? Because of different sanitary policies!
- 01/09/2018 - Video: Anti-collision markers put on a high-voltage line with a drone (LIFE GYPHELP)
- 01/08/2018 - 29 eggs and counting – busy period in the bearded vulture captive breeding network!
- 01/06/2018 - Rehabilitated griffons returned to the wild in southern Portugal
- 01/05/2018 - Bearded vultures featured in Le Monde
- 01/04/2018 - 10 year old Spanish griffon vulture found dead in Bulgaria
- 01/03/2018 - The VCF top stories for 2017
- 12/31/2017 - Happy New Year!
- 12/27/2017 - Bulgarian partners visit nest platforms for cinereous vultures in Portugal
- 12/26/2017 - Cinereous Vulture Flyway Action Plan published
- 12/24/2017 - The VCF wishes you a Merry Xmas!
- 12/21/2017 - New book about raptors (and vultures) in Italy
- 12/20/2017 - Another 22 griffon vultures sent from Spain for reintroduction in Bulgaria
- 12/18/2017 - Another NSAID turns out to be lethal to vultures – in the meantime diclofenac is still being sold in Europe!
- 12/17/2017 - Egyptian vulture conservation in Sicily – project LIFE Conrasi
- 12/11/2017 - Black vultures continue to increase in Mallorca – 2017 was again a record breeding year
- 12/09/2017 - Bearded vulture Adonis, the great traveler, is back in the Grands Causses!
- 12/08/2017 - The status of cinereous vultures in Armenia
- 12/05/2017 - One less griffon vulture in Cyprus – only 20 left on the island
- 12/04/2017 - The (happy?) tale of a griffon vulture in Sudan
- 12/03/2017 - Tragic end for a Balkan Egyptian vulture – killed in Niger for bushmeat
- 12/02/2017 - 1st egg of the 2017-2018 breeding season in the Bearded vulture captive breeding network
- 12/01/2017 - Another VCF milestone – final drafts of the European International Species Actions Plans for the bearded vulture and the cinereous vulture produced
- 11/30/2017 - First release of critically endangered captive-bred vultures in Nepal
- 11/29/2017 - Griffon vultures die electrocuted in the Italian Eastern Alps
- 11/28/2017 - New vulture trail and displays just opened in the Parc Naturel Régional du Vercors (French Alps)
- 11/27/2017 - Anti-poisoning dog unit from LIFE Grifone key to first ever judicial prosecution of a large-scale poisoning incident in Sardinia
- 11/26/2017 - The status of Egyptian Vulture in Armenia - 50 + pairs
- 11/25/2017 - Last chance to see the spectacular documentary on our LIFE GYPCONNECT on ARTE
- 11/24/2017 - New bearded vulture captive-breeding centre established in Armenia, with support from the VCF and Pro-Bartgeier
- 11/23/2017 - URGENT REQUEST: document proof reading
- 11/22/2017 - The "silent killer" decimates vultures in the heart of Europe - at least 15 griffons poisoned in the mountains of Granada
- 11/21/2017 - The guirre blues – or the song of the Canary islands Egyptian vulture
- 11/20/2017 - Five out of five! Egyptian vulture Faia re-surfaced in Mali after two months
- 11/19/2017 - Second record of White-backed Vulture (Gyps africanus) for Morocco
- 11/16/2017 - Bearded vultures – and the LIFE GYPCONNECT– on the big screen – and in your living room
- 11/15/2017 - Census of roosting griffon vultures in the Balkans – 25th November 2017
- 11/13/2017 - 4 Black vultures - and a potential bearded vulture - crossing the Gibraltar strait to Africa!
- 11/09/2017 - RUPIS project partners discuss the progress on the fight against poison in the Douro canyon
- 11/07/2017 - Egyptian vultures – and our LIFE RUPIS – on this month´s edition of National Geographic Portugal
- 11/06/2017 - The silent killing goes on in Africa – 49 vultures poisoned in Limpopo National Park (Mozambique) close to Kruger National Park
- 11/04/2017 - Indian courts ban multi-dose vials of Diclofenac – another step in the right direction to save Southern Asia vultures from extinction
- 11/03/2017 - Bearded vultures in the Alps - come to Passy (Haute Savoie) next weekend (12th November) to participate in one of several public events
- 11/02/2017 - Finally flying - the harrowing story of the young bearded vulture Mison
- 11/01/2017 - Three captive bearded vultures die because of West Nile virus - a serious threat for the International Bearded Vulture captive breeding program
- 10/31/2017 - Vultures took center stage at the COP12 CMS – more protection for 10 species and the vulture Multispecies Action Plan approved!
- 10/27/2017 - Dispatches from Manila III: More good news for Vultures from the CMS COP12 – ten species of Asian and African vultures uplisted to Appendix 1
- 10/25/2017 - After one month, Egyptian vulture Poiares comes back to LIFE in Senegal
- 10/24/2017 - Dispatches from Manila (CMS COP12) II: Vulture MsAP endorsed for adoption by the CMS!
- 10/23/2017 - Perceptions of vultures in France: a sociological study
- 10/22/2017 - Dispatches from Manila (CMS COP12): a step change for Vulture conservation needed – Vulture MsAP
- 10/21/2017 - Because today is Saturday - Vulture drinks anyone?
- 10/19/2017 - The most recent newsletter of IUCN´s Vulture Specialist Group published
- 10/18/2017 - Great perspectives for vultures in France – 23ème Rencontre du Groupe Vautours
- 10/16/2017 - Adult Egyptian vulture seen in Sardinia
- 10/12/2017 - The saga of bearded vulture Flamadel – a huge veterinary challenge!
- 10/11/2017 - IOD 2017 - a day out in the mountains to count bearded vultures
- 10/10/2017 - Killing of a bearded vulture in Spain – suspects identified!
- 10/07/2017 - Griffon vultures shot in Armenia – parts of the Caucasus and the Middle East continues to be a sink for vultures and other soaring birds
- 10/06/2017 - Egyptian vulture Douro reaches its winter grounds too!
- 10/05/2017 - LIFE killed by poison in Sardinia
- 10/03/2017 - The International bearded vulture observation day is this Saturday (7th October) – last chance for you to join us in the Alps!
- 10/01/2017 - Egyptian vulture Rupis arrived at the wintering area in Mali
- 09/30/2017 - Eight more black vultures from Andalusia (Spain) transferred for the reintroduction project in France
- 09/28/2017 - Can´t miss it - the 2017 bearded vulture meeting is coming – 10-12 November, Passy, Haute-Savoie (French Alps)
- 09/26/2017 - An update on griffon vultures in Croatia – 100+ breeding pairs
- 09/25/2017 - Finally Egyptian vulture Poiares goes to Africa too
- 09/24/2017 - Breaking news: Germans voted overwhelmingly for vultures!
- 09/22/2017 - Bearded vulture Lea is flying again in the Alps!
- 09/21/2017 - All about vautours – the French national conference on vultures is coming!
- 09/20/2017 - The International bearded vulture observation day is coming (7-8 October) – join us in the Alps!
- 09/19/2017 - The Africa vulture crisis continues unabated – at least 45 vultures poisoned in Mozambique
- 09/18/2017 - And there goes Rupis!
- 09/15/2017 - Apollo made its way to Tunisia!
- 09/13/2017 - All together for vultures in Extremadura (Spain)
- 09/10/2017 - Interesting observation of a black vulture at the Romanian Black Sea coast
- 09/09/2017 - 360 griffons at Lago di Cornino – a new record for Italy
- 09/08/2017 - Migration time - Egyptian vultures on the move!
- 09/05/2017 - Black vulture seen in Lisbon
- 09/04/2017 - Almost 2500 griffon vultures counted summering in the western Alps in 2017 – an increase of 40% on previous years
- 09/02/2017 - International Vulture Day is today – Post 6 – vet diclofenac - did you know…?
- 09/02/2017 - International Vulture Day is today – Post 5 – European vultures - did you know…?
- 09/02/2017 - International Vulture Day is today – Post 4 – European black vulture – did you know…?
- 09/02/2017 - International Vulture Day is today – Post 3 – Egyptian vulture – did you know…?
- 09/02/2017 - International Vulture Day is today – Post 2 – Bearded vulture – did you know…?
- 09/02/2017 - International Vulture Day is today – Post 1 - Griffon vulture – did you know…?
- 08/31/2017 - And there goes Douro!
- 08/30/2017 - International Vulture Awareness Day is coming – some of our zoo partners are organizing great events!
- 08/26/2017 - Egyptian vulture Faia is already in Africa!
- 08/25/2017 - Three Egyptian vultures tagged in the Douro named – and one of them has already started the migration to Africa.
- 08/24/2017 - Another step towards the adoption of the Vulture MsAP – all together 4 Vultures!
- 08/23/2017 - Mixed results in this year´s experimental release of captive-bred Egyptian vultures in Italy – 1 bird died and 2 had to be recaptured, but Apollo is doing well
- 08/22/2017 - Bearded vulture reintroduction projects 2017 - stories from the field II: Cleo broke her wing just before release but is still flying free above Andalusia
- 08/21/2017 - Bearded vulture reintroduction projects 2017 - stories from the field I: the long flight of Durzon!
- 08/20/2017 - Two bearded vulture chicks fledge in the wild in Andalusia
- 08/18/2017 - International Vulture Awareness Day is already on the 2nd September!
- 08/17/2017 - 85% decline of an urban Hooded Vulture population in Dakar, Senegal, over 50 years – new paper
- 08/16/2017 - Young Egyptian vultures flying everywhere in the Douro canyon
- 08/14/2017 - The beauty of vultures, the extremely important ecosystem services they provide, and the danger of veterinary diclofenac – on tv
- 08/12/2017 - Man faces 1,5 years in prison and a $115,000 fine for killing a California Condor last year
- 08/08/2017 - Looking back to another successful bearded vulture release season – but two birds unfortunately died
- 08/08/2017 - New paper – southern Africa bearded vultures productivity is decreasing
- 08/06/2017 - Bearded vulture seen in Poland
- 08/05/2017 - Vote to name three Egyptian vultures tagged in the Douro
- 08/04/2017 - Griffon breeding colony in Portugal significantly affected by major fire
- 08/03/2017 - Spanish court confirms that an electricity utility should pay a fine of 26,000€ for the electrocution of vultures
- 07/27/2017 - A survey of attitudes towards vulture conservation in the Bulgarian Rodopi regions
- 07/26/2017 - The bearded vulture in the French Pyrenees – 43 pairs last year, 44 this year, and an improvement of productivity after a decade of stagnation
- 07/25/2017 - One more Egyptian vulture has been captured and tagged in the Douro – 5 so far!
- 07/24/2017 - Griffon vultures tagged in Lago di Cornino (Italy) – follow their movements in our home page
- 07/21/2017 - La VCF e altre organizzazioni europee di conservazione della natura richiedono il divieto dell’uso veterinario del Diclofenac, un farmaco che uccide gli avvolto
- 07/21/2017 - The VCF and four other European nature conservation organizations call for a ban on veterinary diclofenac, a drug that kills vultures
- 07/19/2017 - Bearded vultures in the Alps – with 45 territories, another record-breaking breeding season
- 07/18/2017 - Black vulture breeds successfully for the third year in a row in Alentejo (Portugal)
- 07/17/2017 - The Ecosystem services provided by vultures
- 07/16/2017 - Newsletter of the LIFE Re Vultures project is out!
- 07/15/2017 - The 2017 Alpine summering griffon vulture census is coming – 19th August
- 07/14/2017 - EU visits the LIFE Rupis project
- 07/12/2017 - News from the LIFE Re vultures – more griffon vultures from the Rodopes-Dadia area (Bulgaria/Greece) tracked
- 07/10/2017 - The Africa vulture crisis continues unabated – at least 100 vultures poisoned in two separate incidents
- 07/06/2017 - Tomorrow´s Greek vultures will depend on today´s Greek children
- 07/05/2017 - Bearded vultures and lead poisoning – lead-free pilot sites on the cards in the French Pyrenees
- 07/04/2017 - Training of Portuguese partners on tagging vultures with GPS tags
- 07/03/2017 - The adventures of a cinereous vulture in Jordan
- 07/02/2017 - Have you ever seen a pig flying? And a griffon swimming?
- 07/01/2017 - New paper – bearded vulture foraging behaviour in the Pyrenees unaffected by policy-driven carcass management measures
- 06/30/2017 - Even Meerkats detect the decline of African vultures! (paper)
- 06/29/2017 - All Egyptian vulture’s roads lead to the Douro – or the case of Tizón!
- 06/29/2017 - Help needed for translation of Der Falke magazine from German to English
- 06/27/2017 - Unlikely heroes behind the bearded vulture captive breeding programme – Andreas Eder and the animal transport van from Schönbrunn Zoo
- 06/26/2017 - Black vulture shows up in the eastern Alps
- 06/25/2017 - The bearded vulture in Corsica in 2017: 4 pairs and no breeding in the wild, but the young released as part of the restocking programme doing well
- 06/24/2017 - Der Falke special edition on vultures now available to order
- 06/23/2017 - Griffon vultures are breeding again in Cyprus and recolonised area not used for years
- 06/22/2017 - Barcelona Zoo sent 3 captive-bred griffons for the vulture reintroduction project in Bulgaria
- 06/21/2017 - Adult bearded vulture rescued and re-released back to the wild in the French Alps
- 06/20/2017 - Guidelines for feeding bearded vultures in captivity are now also available in French
- 06/18/2017 - Observarribas is here!
- 06/17/2017 - New paper on guidelines for evaluation and treatment of lead poisoning of wild raptors
- 06/15/2017 - Looking for (bearded vulture) Kilian
- 06/14/2017 - Two adult Egyptian vultures have been captured and tagged in the Douro – another great milestone in the LIFE RUPIS project
- 06/12/2017 - What have Jana and Tempestosa, the two griffons tagged in Sardinia, been up to?
- 06/09/2017 - Two more bearded vultures released yesterday in Andalusia
- 06/07/2017 - Saving the bearded vulture in Corsica – Luna and Ercu released last weekend
- 06/06/2017 - Diet of Egyptian vulture in Sicily
- 06/05/2017 - Two young Spanish bearded vultures will be released in the Swiss Mountains today
- 06/04/2017 - 5 more bearded vultures released back into the wild yesterday by VCF and its partners – 2 in Vercors (Pre-Alps), 2 in Corsica and 1 in Andalucia
- 06/02/2017 - Adult Egyptian vulture released in the Douro after being found weakened
- 06/01/2017 - Great news from Andalusia – the two breeding pairs of bearded vulture continue to raise their young in Cazorla!
- 05/31/2017 - 7th bearded vulture of 2017 to be released in Grands Causses tomorrow – 11 still to go!
- 05/30/2017 - Dutch birders get Lucky! Bearded vulture released in Austria last year delights birdwatchers across the Netherlands
- 05/27/2017 - One young bearded vulture was released in Cazorla – the first of six this year
- 05/26/2017 - Help needed for translation of Der Falke magazine from German to English
- 05/25/2017 - New supplementary feeding point established in the LIFE RUPIS project– and almost immediately up to 10 Egyptian vultures fed there!
- 05/24/2017 - A first for Sweden – young, probably wild, bearded vulture seen in the country
- 05/23/2017 - Egyptian vultures also seem to favour mud bathing to gain colour – but why?
- 05/22/2017 - Over 90 vultures poisoned in Africa - sad news on the International Biodiversity Day
- 05/20/2017 - Who is the culprit when a bone falls on your roof?
- 05/19/2017 - Another young bearded vulture in the Netherlands and Germany
- 05/16/2017 - Bearded vultures Leoux & ProNatura released in Baronnies with hundreds of people celebrating one of the most remarkable wildlife comeback stories of our times
- 05/13/2017 - Two more bearded vultures will be released tomorrow in Baronnies – following the first successful release of the season in the Grands Causses on the 2nd of May
- 05/12/2017 - The symbolic representation of vultures across civilizations – a review
- 05/10/2017 - Scattering of black vulture observations in northern France attests to the species increase in the country
- 05/09/2017 - LIFE RUPIS - An analysis of poisoning cases in the Spanish side of the Douro canyon
- 05/07/2017 - Breeding bearded vultures in captivity – in the words of a volunteer
- 05/06/2017 - Bearded vulture Roc Genèse came back to its natal area in the Pre-Pyrenees – his brother Flamadel could not be tagged
- 05/05/2017 - Help needed to transport magazines from Germany to Switzerland
- 05/04/2017 - Egyptian vulture Rupis busy flying around the Douro area – but will probably not breed this year
- 05/03/2017 - The most recent newsletter of IUCN´s Vulture Specialist Group published
- 05/01/2017 - Black vulture Bernardus is back in France!
- 04/30/2017 - Reintroducing bearded vultures to the wild – first release of the Spring this week in the Grands Causses!
- 04/28/2017 - Third newsletter of the LIFE+ GYPCONNECT published – linking bearded vultures from the Alps to the Pyrenees
- 04/26/2017 - Egyptian vultures Tobia and Sara, now
on their 3rd year, are still in Africa!
- 04/25/2017 - The
VCF is supporting colleagues in South Africa to establish a captive-breeding
programme for the bearded vulture
- 04/23/2017 - Ostrava Zoo runs campaign for the VCF – and produces one bearded
vulture chick too
- 04/20/2017 - Egyptian Vultures and Bone crushing factories
in Uttar Pradesh, India – a curious relationship
- 04/19/2017 - Egyptian
vulture Rupis is home!
- 04/18/2017 - 14 pairs of black vulture – in Boumort (Spanish
Pyrenees) – 8 are still breeding
- 04/17/2017 - 2016 Report on the black vulture captive breeding
- 04/16/2017 - Easter eggs? Or how decades of experience
contribute to breed bearded vultures in captivity for conservation
- 04/15/2017 - Rupis about
to cross the Gibraltar strait!
- 04/14/2017 - Taking a stand for vultures
- 04/12/2017 - Egyptian
vulture Rupis is on the way to Iberia!
- 04/11/2017 - Spectacular aerial duel between bearded vultures in the French
Alps results in the death of one of them
- 04/10/2017 - Bearded
vultures in the Alps – on course for another record-breaking breeding season
- 04/09/2017 - 31 vultures dead after being hit by a train in India
- 04/08/2017 - Poisoning
incident in Kresna Gorge (Bulgaria) gets even bigger – a total of 18 griffon
vultures now confirmed dead
- 04/07/2017 - Bearded vulture “Lea” (released in Austria in 2015) has been recovered
weakened in Temú (Italy), near National Park Stelvio – probably a victim of
- 04/06/2017 - Black vulture Bernardus is on the move again!
- 04/05/2017 - And
the survey of breeding Egyptian vultures started in the Douro canyons …
- 04/04/2017 - A poacher kills the last black vulture in Alinyà, Spain
- 04/01/2017 - Young wandering bearded vulture now in northern Germany, on the North Sea.
- 03/31/2017 - Egyptian
vulture “falls from the sky” – rare accident kills breeding bird in Portugal
- 03/30/2017 - Massive poisoning incident(s) in Kresna George, Bulgaria, deals a blow to the recovering Balkan griffon vulture population
- 03/29/2017 - Griffons in peril in Cyprus –
only 21 birds left and no breeding in the last two years
- 03/28/2017 - New research
project on the presence of diclofenac and other anti-inflammatory drugs in
avian scavengers in the Iberian Peninsula
- 03/27/2017 - Two pairs – and two chicks – in the bearded vulture reintroduction
project in Andalusia!
- 03/26/2017 - Breeding bearded vultures for reintroduction:
a tale of a successful adoption of hatchling in Guadalentin
- 03/23/2017 - 2016 bearded vulture captive breeding season annual report just published – record breaking season, 27 young produced & 17 reintroduced back to the wild
- 03/22/2017 - How
many bearded vultures are there in the Alps? See results from the 2016
International Observation day (simultaneous census)
- 03/21/2017 - Vultures indirectly regulate the abundance of foxes through
limiting their access to carrion - new paper
- 03/19/2017 - LIFE RE-Vultures - news from the Rhodopes at the project annual meeting
- 03/17/2017 - Human persecution still a threat
to Himalayan bearded vultures
- 03/16/2017 - 25 griffon Vultures from Extremadura
(Spain) on the way to Sardinia (Italy)
- 03/15/2017 - A visitor from Spain in the LIFE Rupis area
- 03/13/2017 - The young bearded vulture is now in the Netherlands...
- 03/12/2017 - Jana
and Tempestosa: Two griffon vultures released in Sardinia within LIFE Grifone
- 03/11/2017 - Bearded vultures and lead
poisoning – The Cévennes National Park (France) is promoting lead-free hunting
- 03/10/2017 - Young wandering bearded vulture still in Germany!
- 03/08/2017 - Infogipeto - latest newsletter on the bearded vulture reintroduction project in the Alps just published (in Italian)
- 03/06/2017 - Portuguese police establishes the first-ever anti-poisoning
dog teams in northern Portugal – soon they will start patrolling the LIFE RUPIS
- 03/05/2017 - Bearded vultures in
the Alps – looks like we are having another great breeding season!
- 03/04/2017 - Bearded vulture
clutch extracted from a wild nest in Corsica again – part of a plan to save this
highly endangered population from extinction
- 03/02/2017 - Frustration – and then hope – with the only black vulture pair in Douro International
- 03/01/2017 - Bernardus has overwintered in Toledo (Spain). Where will she go in Spring?
- 02/28/2017 - Griffon vultures and livestock activities –
the French national action plan to decrease potential problems is now available
for public consultation
- 02/25/2017 - Three black vultures to be released tomorrow in the
Gorges du Verdon (France)
- 02/24/2017 - Bearded Vulture in Western Germany
- 02/21/2017 - Hundreds of vulture experts ask for a global ban of veterinary diclofenac
- while the government of Portugal is considering to approve it!
- 02/20/2017 - Bearded vultures and lead poisoning –
National Park Hohe Tauern (Austria) is promoting lead-free hunting practices
- 02/18/2017 - One step closer to the Vulture multi-Species
- 02/17/2017 - After Andalusia, bearded vultures are also
breeding in Picos de Europa
- 02/15/2017 - Two more griffons electrocuted in
- 02/13/2017 - And they are out - first two baby bearded vultures of the season
hatched in Guadalentin
- 02/12/2017 - New
data reveals there are 11-12 pairs of bearded vultures in Armenia
- 02/11/2017 - Good outcomes at the Middle-East regional workshop for the Vulture
multi-Species Action Plan
- 02/03/2017 - 10,000 people for vultures!
- 02/02/2017 - Public consultation on the Draft Flyway
Action Plan for the Conservation of the Balkan and
Central Asian Populations of the Egyptian
- 01/30/2017 - New poisoning
case in the LIFE RUPIS area – fortunately no vultures dead, but a serious
reminder that the silent killer is a real threat
- 01/29/2017 - Bringing Egyptian
vultures and LIFE RUPIS to the local school children
- 01/25/2017 - TeamVCF will join the
Champions of the Flyway!
- 01/25/2017 - Tono and Blimunda lay an egg again in Andalusia – after the
first ever successful breeding in the wild in 2015 following reintroduction,
and after a gap in 2016
- 01/23/2017 - New paper on ranging of Pyrenean bearded vultures:
supplementary feeding not that important (at least for breeding adults), and half of home ranges
- 01/20/2017 - Bearded vulture captive breeding: Old
ladies come to the rescue
- 01/18/2017 - News from LIFE RUPIS: Supplementary feeding points ready
to receive the Egyptian vultures coming from Africa. And they are helping the
local black vultures too!
- 01/17/2017 - Female Egyptian vultures have lower
survival and start breeding earlier than males in Central-North Spain
- 01/16/2017 - Egyptian vulture in France in 2016 – a
summary: smaller population but average breeding productivity and a good number
of young ringed
- 01/15/2017 - An
analysis of poisoning cases in the Portuguese side of the Douro canyon
- 01/14/2017 - News from the bearded vulture pairs in Andalusia: Hortelano
& Marchena are in fine breeding plumage and going through all the breeding
antics (see video)
- 01/13/2017 - Better and
better at our bearded vulture captive breeding network – mortality rate
decreases significantly while the average age at death increases!
- 01/12/2017 - 135 pairs of Endangered Egyptian vultures in the Douro
- 01/11/2017 - The number of griffon
vultures breeding and roosting in Eastern Rhodopes continues to increase
- 01/09/2017 - Girun and Volcaire doing well – and
have been celebrated by a Côtes du Rhône wine!
- 01/08/2017 - News
from LIFE GYPCONNECT: Bearded vulture Roc Genèse is a male, is
now in Spain, and its parents are breeding again
- 01/06/2017 - News from the LIFE Re
vultures – griffon and black vultures from the Rodopes-Dadia area (Bulgaria/Greece) tracked
- 01/04/2017 - Tracking
bearded vultures in Nepal – new research project by Tulsi Subedi
- 01/03/2017 - Bearded
vultures in our captive breeding network kept laying eggs during Xmas and new
- 12/31/2016 - Happy New Year from the VCF - thank you for your support during 2016
- 12/30/2016 - A good end to a sad
story - Adult bearded vulture found injured and lead-poisoned in the French Pyrenees successfully rehabilitated and released
- 12/27/2016 - Adonis – the bearded vulture last recorded in Romania,
where a beer was named after it, is now back in the French Pre-Alps!
- 12/26/2016 - The Corsican
bearded vulture chick extracted from an unproductive nest earlier this year is a female and is doing well!
- 12/19/2016 - Egyptian vulture ringed in France
observed in Sicily
- 12/18/2016 - Griffon tagged and released in Sardinia under the Life Under the project
Griffon Wings project
- 12/16/2016 - Bearded vultures in the Alps are also breeding!
- 12/15/2016 - News from
Rupis: still in Mali
- 12/14/2016 - First
bearded vulture in Israel for more than 10 years – and a bounty of black
- 12/13/2016 - The Junta de Andalusia handed
over to the VCF 7 Black Vultures for the reintroduction project in France
- 12/10/2016 - First
eggs of the season in the bearded vulture captive-breeding network!
- 12/07/2016 - Migration bottlenecks of Balkan Egyptian
percnopterus tracked by satellite telemetry
- 12/06/2016 - The bearded vulture breeding season is starting across Europe´s mountain
- 12/05/2016 - Landscape factors affecting territory
occupancy and breeding success of Egyptian Vultures on the Balkan Peninsula:
- 12/02/2016 - “Who tagged this griffon?”
- 12/01/2016 - After failing in the last 4 years, the only bearded vulture pair in Andorra successfully fledged a chick this year - see the incredible images
- 11/30/2016 - Lead poisoning
and vultures: new scientific contributions
- 11/28/2016 - Annual bearded vulture meeting 2016 – Conclusions
- 11/26/2016 - Juan José Sánchez Artés
(1962-2016) – celebratory video
- 11/25/2016 - Special edition of DER FALKE on vultures just published
- 11/24/2016 - A staggering 750+ Egyptian vultures
counted together in Oman last weekend – one of the highest counts ever of this
species in the wintering grounds
- 11/23/2016 - Second
newsletter of the LIFE+ GYPCONNECT published – linking bearded vultures from
the Alps to the Pyrenees
- 11/22/2016 - The incredible
story of the griffon trapped inside a horse carcass
- 11/18/2016 - A second bearded vulture territorial pair confirmed in Andalusia
- 11/17/2016 - Juan José Sánchez Artés
- 11/15/2016 - The 2016 Annual bearded vulture
meeting a great success!
- 11/06/2016 - Hello from some urban Egyptian vultures!
- 11/04/2016 - Vultures
galore at the European Vulture Multi-species Action Plan Workshop held in
Extremadura – and some great conclusions too!
- 11/02/2016 - Nuremberg Zoo has new aviary for their captive bearded vulture pair
- 11/01/2016 - Bernardus goes south again
- 10/23/2016 - New bearded vulture
breeding season is just starting!
- 10/21/2016 - Key vulture workshop to be held next week in Monfrague (Spain) - to develop the European Vulture Multi-species Action Plan
- 10/20/2016 - Oldest ever
lappet-faced vulture (Torgos tracheliotus) registered in South Africa
- 10/19/2016 - Milestone in the
Californian condor project – first chick to fledge in the wild at Pinnacles
National Park left its nest
- 10/18/2016 - Cheers for Adonis – Romanian beer company makes a
special edition named after the long staying bearded vulture
- 10/17/2016 - Poison surfaces again in
key vulture area in Bulgaria
- 10/14/2016 - Rupis is wintering in Mali – very close to Tizón!
- 10/11/2016 - The Africa vulture crisis continues unabated
- at least 51 vultures poisoned in Limpopo National Park (Mozambique)
- 10/10/2016 - Esperanza – the first
bearded vulture wild born in Andalucía in 30+ years, has been to Gredos
- 10/09/2016 - A
first for France – LIFE GYPHELP puts anti-collision markers on a high-voltage
line with a drone
- 10/08/2016 - Captive-bred Egyptian vulture Elodie makes it to Africa after Regina and
Lom tragically drown in the Med
- 10/06/2016 - International observation day is this weekend – join us!
Last year 700 volunteers counted ~190 bearded vultures, or 70%
of the estimated Alpine population
- 10/04/2016 - Dark year
for bearded vultures in Andalusia – two more birds found poisoned in the last
weeks, total for this year 3
- 10/01/2016 - Rupis crossed the Sahara – he is now in Mauritania!
- 09/30/2016 - Release of an injured Griffon in LIFE RUPIS project area
- 09/27/2016 - Black vulture collided with plane
landing in Mallorca
- 09/25/2016 - TV
report on LIFE GYPCONNECT
- 09/25/2016 - LIFE GYPCONNECT – LIFE14
NAT/FR/000050 – partners meet in Quillan (Aude, France) to evaluate work done
and plan next phases of the project
- 09/24/2016 - And suddenly… Egyptian vulture Rupis quickly migrated to
- 09/22/2016 - Tragic news from captive-bred Egyptian
vultures Regina and Lom – both drowned while trying to cross the Mediterranean
- 09/21/2016 - Get out – these mountains
are mine! Says the bearded vulture to the griffon vulture
- 09/20/2016 - Results of the bearded vulture breeding season in the Alps 2016 – 43
breeding pairs, 25 chicks fledged, best year ever!
- 09/19/2016 - Black
vulture shows up in Serbia again
- 09/13/2016 - Kira is no longer flying
- 09/09/2016 - Second captive-bred Egyptian vulture released
in Bulgaria is also migrating – Lom follows Regina, while the latter flies
south to Cyprus!
- 09/08/2016 - International vulture awareness day - griffons will be
released this Saturday in Badajoz
- 09/07/2016 - Regina – the captive-bred
Egyptian vulture released in Bulgaria – is now in Turkey on its way south
- 09/05/2016 - 192 black vultures
fledged from nests in Andalucía (Spain) - the second best result ever since
- 09/03/2016 - The
International Vulture Awareness Day is today. Let´s all celebrate vultures!
- 09/02/2016 - Three captive-bred Egyptian vultures fledged successfully
from their hacking cavity in Bulgaria
- 08/30/2016 - Who will bring the Spring
if the Egyptian vultures is extinct? See video
- 08/28/2016 - New paper on a new
Gypaetinae vulture fossil species from China
- 08/27/2016 - Breaking news – vulture seen in London!
- 08/26/2016 - Collisions of griffons with
commercial aircraft at Madrid airport
- 08/24/2016 - Decline of Indian vultures forced the Parsis to change their traditions and
accept cremations as an alternative to sky burial
- 08/23/2016 - How are the three captive-bred
Egyptian vultures released in Bulgaria doing? An update from the field
- 08/22/2016 - New film on the release of bearded vultures Lucky and Charlie in Hohe Tauern National Park (Austria)
- 08/19/2016 - Update on the endangered Canary Islands Egyptian vulture
- 08/18/2016 - Bearded vulture Roc
Genèse wandering around in the Pyrenees
- 08/16/2016 - The 2016 Alpine summering griffon vulture census is already this weeked (20
August 2016 ) – last chance to participate!
- 08/15/2016 - Update on the efforts
to establish captive breeding programme for the Southern Africa bearded vulture
- 08/14/2016 - Three captive-bred Egyptian vultures were
released in Northern Bulgaria
- 08/12/2016 - VCF and the Swiss Foundation Pro Bartgeier release new film about the reintroduction of bearded vultures
in the Swiss Alps
- 08/10/2016 - Three more captive-bred Egyptian vultures
will be released this year in Bulgaria
- 08/09/2016 - After a long tour in Slovakia, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine
and Romania, bearded vulture Adonis is coming back
- 08/08/2016 - Egyptian vulture Rupis exploring Spain and Portugal
- 08/06/2016 - Black vulture breeds again successfully in Douro International
- 08/05/2016 - Call for volunteers for the 2016 Alpine summering griffon vulture census
– 20 August 2016
- 08/04/2016 - IUCN
opens two positions to work on the Bangladesh vulture conservation initiative
- 08/03/2016 - Causes for breeding failure in Balkan Egyptian
vultures – new report
- 08/01/2016 - The bearded vulture in Corsica – summary of the current situation
- 07/31/2016 - Remember the Egyptian vultures Tobia and Sara? They are still in Africa!
- 07/29/2016 - Bad news this time: Bearded
Vulture Larzac found dead in northern Germany
- 07/27/2016 - First Egyptian vulture captured and tagged in the Douro
- 07/26/2016 - Girun and Volcaire flying high!
- 07/25/2016 - First
newsletter of the LIFE+ GYPCONNECT published – linking bearded vultures from
the Alps to the Pyrenees
- 07/23/2016 - Luc Hoffmann – a celebration
- 07/20/2016 - The last bearded vulture released last weekend in Andalusia
- 07/19/2016 - Black
vulture in Mallorca - new record this breeding season with 25 eggs hatched - but some controversy over access to exclusion areas too
- 07/18/2016 - Bearded vultures released in the Baronnies – a new
reintroduction site – finally fledged
- 07/17/2016 - Larzac disappeared in Germany!
Where is he?
- 07/12/2016 - The bearded vulture in the French Alps in 2016
- 07/10/2016 - Et voila Cardabelle appears again!
- 07/09/2016 - The bearded vulture in the French Pyrenees in 2016
- 07/08/2016 - Bearded vulture captive breeding for conservation – 2015 report
- 07/07/2016 - Bearded vulture captive breeding season is over – so birds are now
being transferred across Europe
- 07/06/2016 - Young bearded vulture released in the Grands Causses dies due to
- 07/04/2016 - Larzac is still up north - now in
- 07/02/2016 - Vultures galore in the Douro
- 06/28/2016 - Griffons in northern Denmark – including a Spanish
- 06/26/2016 - Another bearded vulture wandering in northern Europe –
Adonis is now in Belarus!
- 06/25/2016 - Where is Larzac?
- 06/24/2016 - All together for the Egyptian vulture in the Douro valley
- 06/23/2016 - Two young bearded vultures to be released tomorrow in the Hohe
Tauern National Park (Austria)
- 06/22/2016 - Another bearded vulture in Holland – this time a young reintroduced last
year in the Grands Causses (Massif Central, France)
- 06/20/2016 - How bearded
vultures get their orange colour in the wild?
- 06/17/2016 - Another
great bearded vulture release in Andalucia
- 06/15/2016 - Griffon born in captivity in Holland and released in Bulgaria seen in…
- 06/14/2016 - Immature bearded vulture in the
Eastern Italian Alps (Friuli)
- 06/13/2016 - The
6th bearded vulture to be released in Andalucía this year will be put on the
hacking platform today
- 06/12/2016 - Abricot the great voyager
- 06/10/2016 - Egyptian vultures are starting to hatch in Douro
- 06/09/2016 - New manual on how to
fight poisoning published by the Junta de Andalusia
- 06/07/2016 - Carbofuran named as the poison killer of griffon
vultures in Cyprus
- 06/06/2016 - More
than 200 people saw Girun and Volcaire being released in the Baronnies – a new
site in our project to re-establish bearded vultures across Europe
- 06/04/2016 - The griffon vulture that likes the Netherlands
- 06/03/2016 - Three supplementary feeding sites targeting
the Egyptian vulture reactivated in the Douro
- 06/02/2016 - Linking
bearded vultures from the Alps to the Pyrenees: two young bearded vultures will
be released tomorrow in a new site in the Baronnies
- 06/01/2016 - Roc
Genèse fledged from its wild nest in the French Pyrenees
- 05/31/2016 - Restoring bearded vultures across Europe – two more birds released
in the Swiss Alps
- 05/30/2016 - Two more young bearded vultures
released in Lozère
- 05/29/2016 - Tizón is back in Europe!
- 05/27/2016 - Good & bad news from Andalusia: while two more
bearded vultures will be released today in Castril, one bird was found dead– poisoned, elsewhere in the province
- 05/25/2016 - Vagrancy season: two
young bearded vultures flying around northern Europe (UK and Denmark)
- 05/24/2016 - LIFE RUPIS website now online
- 05/23/2016 - Two young bearded vultures will be released tomorrow in the Grands
- 05/21/2016 - Demonstrating the fitting of tags to bearded vultures using Marie-Antoinette
- 05/19/2016 - Cimatella and Muntagnolu equipped with satellite tags
- 05/17/2016 - Young bearded vulture
seen in the UK!
- 05/13/2016 - New paper suggests that nest
guarding and supplementary feeding failed to increase productivity and survival
of Egyptian Vultures in the Balkans
- 05/12/2016 - Young bearded vulture
seen in Belgium
- 05/11/2016 - First bearded
vultures hatched in captivity in Bulgaria feature in National Geographic!
- 05/10/2016 - Three bearded
vultures successfully released in Andalucía
- 05/07/2016 - Captive breeding of Egyptian
vultures – results from 2015
- 05/06/2016 - First three bearded vultures to be released in Andalucía this year
put on the hacking platform today
- 05/04/2016 - Cimatella and
Muntagnolu – two young bearded vultures
– released yesterday in Corsica
- 05/03/2016 - Message from His Serene Highness the Prince Albert II of Monaco to
celebrate the release of two young bearded vultures in Corsica today
- 05/02/2016 - Two bearded vultures to be released tomorrow in Corse – for
the first time ever
- 05/01/2016 - Reintroducing bearded vultures to the wild – release season
is starting soon!
- 04/29/2016 - Bearded vulture in Europe – summary of the 2015 breeding
- 04/28/2016 - Bernardus the black vulture decided to visit our… Egyptian vulture
project site in Portugal-Spain!
- 04/27/2016 - Breeding
black vultures in captivity for conservation - 2015 report
- 04/26/2016 - Wild
bearded vulture nestling tagged in the French pre-Pyrenees
- 04/24/2016 - Captive-bred black vulture "Bernardus" released in Verdon is
now in Portugal
- 04/23/2016 - Working high above the Rhine towards international
species action plans
- 04/22/2016 - New paper vindicates VCF methods –
release of captive-bred bearded vultures the best method to restore populations
- 04/21/2016 - The VCF visited Bulgaria
- 04/18/2016 - Bearded vultures
hatched again in the Balkans
- 04/13/2016 - Preparations
underway for the first ever release of Bearded vultures in Baronnies
- 04/12/2016 - From Vienna to Tallinn and back -
20 hours on the road for bearded vulture conservation
- 04/11/2016 - Egyptian vultures eluded us at the Douro
- 04/10/2016 - Dead bearded vulture found last year in Switzerland had been released in Vercors in 2012
- 04/09/2016 - MORTALITY
CAUSES FOR THE EGYPTIAN VULTURE (NEOPHRON PERCNOPTERUS) IN
BULGARIA AND GREECE (1997-2015)
- 04/08/2016 - The VCF is recruiting two part-time staff members...
- 04/06/2016 - The little Altore has been successfully adopted!
- 04/02/2016 - One altore across
Europe – or how a Corsican bearded vultures chick flew from Bastia to Madrid to
be adopted by a captive pair
- 04/01/2016 - The black vulture in France in 2015 – summary
- 03/30/2016 - Drones and
vultures – a curse or a blessing?
- 03/28/2016 - One step closer to link bearded vulture
populations in the Alps and the Pyrenees
- 03/26/2016 - Two of the four pairs of bearded vultures nesting in the
Parc National de la Vanoise (Alps, France) have been successful
- 03/25/2016 - Our own Easter egg has hatched – Corsican bearded
vulture chick hatches in the lab, a first in the world!
- 03/24/2016 - Vote for the bearded vulture – Nature 2000 awards
- 03/23/2016 - New vulture exhibition at the Allwetterzoo in Münster
- 03/22/2016 - The Egyptian vulture in France: 88 pairs, but a very bad breeding
- 03/17/2016 - New VCF protocol on bleaching bearded vulture feathers
- 03/16/2016 - Bearded vulture egg extracted from nest in
Corsica – first step to save this highly endangered population from extinction
- 03/09/2016 - 22th national vulture conference – France this weekend
- 03/08/2016 - 21 chicks and counting – good breeding season in the bearded
vulture captive breeding network – and a surprising and rare third clutch
- 03/06/2016 - Vultures killed – probably poisoned – in Cyprus. This
incident is a blow to the efforts to recover the endangered island population
of griffon vultures
- 03/03/2016 - A wild bearded vulture found dead in the French Pyrenees - and a whole
network of people mobilizes to find out what killed him!
- 03/02/2016 - Poison continues to kill masses of vultures in Africa and Asia - while
at the same time their value is highlighted in yet another study
- 03/01/2016 - Update on Roman & Herculis, the bearded vultures released last year in Alpi Marittime: Herculis lost its transmitter but is alive! Roman is now in Vanoise
- 02/29/2016 - Do animals recognise their disabilities? Some evidence from bearded vulture Kirma
- 02/25/2016 - Egyptian
vultures increasing in Catalonia
- 02/24/2016 - One more wintering Egyptian vulture caught and tagged
- 02/23/2016 - New paper on
a case study on black vultures and windfarms: High mortality and a novel tool
for EIAs and SEAs on new plans
- 02/22/2016 - New
project for the conservation of black and griffon vultures in the Rhodope
mountains (Bulgaria-Greece) launched
- 02/21/2016 - The Egyptian vulture Tizón is spending its second
summer in Mauritania
- 02/20/2016 - Bearded vultures in the Alps - Update on the breeding season 2015/2016: lots of new pairs established!
- 02/17/2016 - New species for the Netherlands - the bearded vulture!
- 02/16/2016 - New bearded vulture
pairs in the French Alps
- 02/15/2016 - Bearded Vultures lay an egg in Bulgaria for
the first time in 60 years – in captivity, but a good omen for the
- 02/12/2016 - Egyptian vulture research and
monitoring in Oman
- 02/10/2016 - One
step closer to link bearded vulture populations in the Alps and Pyrenees -
- 02/08/2016 - Black
vultures arrived well and safe in France
- 02/07/2016 - A new breeding pair of bearded vultures in Savoie
- 02/05/2016 - Seven more black
vultures on the way to France
- 02/03/2016 - Bearded vulture captive breeding (for
conservation): 47 eggs and counting – and the first chicks!
- 02/02/2016 - American black vultures
used to identify rubbish concentrations in Lima, Peru
- 02/01/2016 - The Junta de Andalusia handed
over today 3 Eurasian Black Vultures to the VCF for the reintroduction projects
and the captivity-breeding programme
- 01/31/2016 - Two black
vultures in China´s biggest city – and some reflections on China´s vultures
- 01/30/2016 - A rare
case of cooperation in the Middle-East: Griffon vulture returned from Lebanon
- 01/27/2016 - The structure of bearded vulture shells and
implications for conservation
- 01/26/2016 - Effectiveness of the
canine units in the fight against poison in Greece – report
- 01/24/2016 - Vultures Back to LIFE – the dream goes on. New
LIFE project for the reintroduction of the black vulture to Bulgaria starts!
- 01/22/2016 - And yet again in Zimbabwe – 41 critically endangered
white-backed vultures poisoned to death
- 01/20/2016 - More good news from Andalucia – second bearded vulture
pair exhibiting breeding behavior
- 01/18/2016 - And the silent killing continues in Africa –
more vultures poisoned in Kenya
- 01/15/2016 - Conclusions and presentations of the seminar
on lead poisoning and bearded vultures published
- 01/14/2016 - Great Audio-book for children on the bearded vulture (in
- 01/12/2016 - First results of the census of summering griffons in the Alps - at least
1700 birds present
- 01/11/2016 - Annual bearded vulture
meeting, November 2015 - the conclusions are now out!
- 01/10/2016 - Restoring vulture populations in the Balkans – from griffon vultures to
- 01/09/2016 - New paper shows that vultures in Asia are still being killed by
diclofenac – years after the ban. Another vet drug (Nimesulide) is also a
- 01/08/2016 - How
many bearded vultures are there in the Alps? First results from the 2015
International Observation day (simultaneous census)
- 01/07/2016 - New paper details dispersion and
movements of bearded vultures Gypaetus barbatus from Corsica
- 01/06/2016 - MONITORING OF A BEARDED VULTURE NEST
WITH CAMERA IN ANDORRA 2011-2015
- 01/04/2016 - New year, another breeding
season – 28 eggs so far in the bearded vulture captive breeding network!
- 12/30/2015 - The highlights of the VCF year
- 12/29/2015 - Bernardus the black vulture is in Doñana National Parc
- 12/28/2015 - Where are Herculis and Roman?
- 12/21/2015 - After Fresnedosa and Jara last winter – four more
overwintering Egyptian vultures captured and tagged yesterday in Extremadura
- 12/20/2015 - Bearded
vultures in the Alps 2015
- 12/19/2015 - The 16 species of Old World Vultures in a sensible evolutionary order - drawing by Katja Wolfram
- 12/18/2015 - Another
massive poisoning of vultures in Africa – this time in Senegal, where there
were no previous reports of widespread poisoning
- 12/17/2015 - The bearded vulture breeding
season is starting!
- 12/16/2015 - Best practice in the work of the specialized anti-poison dog units in
Spain – conference today
- 12/14/2015 - More Spanish black
vultures will soon be on the way to France
- 12/12/2015 - Interesting
observations of black vultures in the Balkans
- 12/09/2015 - 1st egg of the breeding season in the Bearded
vulture captive breeding network
- 12/07/2015 - Africa vulture declines linked
with elephant poaching for Ivory: new paper
- 12/04/2015 - Removal of eggs or chicks has considerable impact in the Pyrenean
population of bearded vultures – new paper
- 12/02/2015 - Four years later… justice at
last! Suspect convicted of poisoning a bearded vulture in Andalucía
- 12/01/2015 - The Egyptian vulture Tizón is back to Mali
- 11/29/2015 - Working together to update the
international species action plan for the bearded vulture (LIFE EUROSAP)
- 11/28/2015 - Black vulture Bernardus goes
south in Spain
- 11/19/2015 - Bearded vultures are flying to Corsica this weekend
- 11/16/2015 - Captive-bred black vulture "Bernardus" released in Verdon is now in Spain
- 11/13/2015 - LIFE+
GYPCONNECT starts – linking bearded vultures from the Alps to the Pyrenees
- 11/12/2015 - Griffon folklore – where did 2 young griffons born in
captivity and released in the eastern Alps end up?
- 11/10/2015 - New guidelines for feeding Bearded Vultures in captivity have been published
by the VCF
- 11/08/2015 - Black
vulture population continues to increase in Andalucía – 360 pairs in 2015
- 11/06/2015 - From the Massif Central to the Alps – bearded vultures
on the move in France
- 11/05/2015 - Iran
bans veterinary diclofenac – in the meanwhile, the EU drags its
feet and continues to threaten Europe’s vultures – sign the petition!
- 11/04/2015 - More black and griffon vultures die near the Avila waste
treatment centre (Spain)
- 10/31/2015 - Black (cinereous) vulture seen in Macedonia – first observation
in the last 10 years
- 10/30/2015 - Esperanza continues to give us hope
- 10/29/2015 - Africa vulture crisis confirmed – six of Africa´s 11
species of vultures have seen their global status worsen in the latest update
of the bird red data list
- 10/27/2015 - Wildlife disease and
intoxication with heavy metals and toxic compounds from agriculture/veterinarian
practices do not seem to be a significant threat to the Eg
- 10/26/2015 - Genetics
explain why vultures are such good scavengers: new paper
- 10/23/2015 - One man´s passion for Spanish griffons - and the diclofenac threat pending over them - video
- 10/22/2015 - LIFE GYPHELP newsletter is out!
- 10/21/2015 - Wild Bearded Vulture “Jacques” released in the French Pyrenees after
- 10/19/2015 - The Egyptian vulture in Algeria
- 10/18/2015 - Bearded vulture collage – happy Sunday
- 10/17/2015 - Halloween at Parc des Oiseaux with
- 10/14/2015 - The Bearded Vulture EEP: a continuously increasing conservation program:
Nikolaev zoo (Ukraine) one of the most recent partners
- 10/13/2015 - Last preparations for the new
bearded vulture breeding season
- 10/12/2015 - Thank you to all the volunteers who have joined us for the International Bearded Vulture Observation Days!
- 10/08/2015 - The International
alpine bearded vulture observation day is this Saturday - come and count bearded
vultures with us in the Alps!
- 10/08/2015 - Bearded vulture exhibition & other events in Haute-Savoie (France)
- 10/04/2015 - Come and count bearded vultures in the Alps with us – International bearded vulture observation day is on the 10th October!
- 10/03/2015 - New hope for the Egyptian vulture in the Douro canyon (Portugal-Spain)
- 10/01/2015 - Mixed news from the captive-bred Egyptian vultures released in Italy –
Aneta drowned in the Med, while Tobia is now in Algeria, and Carmen and Karel
- 09/30/2015 - Lead poisoning and bearded vultures in the
French Alps –significant progress in the seminar this week at Annecy
- 09/27/2015 - The VCF will be tomorrow in Annecy co-leading a seminar on lead poisoning and bearded vultures
- 09/26/2015 - And
he made it to Libya - Tobia the Egyptian vulture had already survived a night in
Malta, now he landed in Misurata
- 09/25/2015 - Tobia the Egyptian vulture
made it to Malta – and survived the ordeal, after having been guarded all night
long by conservationists and the police!
- 09/24/2015 - The story of IFP –
or how vulture conservation is really a transnational affair
- 09/23/2015 - The
VCF was present in the meeting on Mediterranean Raptors held recently in Italy
- 09/22/2015 - Sara made it to
the winter grounds – she is in Niger!
- 09/16/2015 - Seminar on lead poisoning and bearded
vultures – Annecy (Haute Savoie, France), 28 September 2015
- 09/15/2015 - Egyptian Vultures wintering in Extremadura (Spain): a summary
- 09/13/2015 - One more
griffon vulture shot in Lebanon – the Middle East continues to be a sink for
vultures and other soaring birds
- 09/12/2015 - Sara made it to Libya!
- 09/10/2015 - Good breeding season for bearded vultures in
the Alps – more pairs (34) and one more wild born chicks fledged (20) than last year
- 09/09/2015 - Agata drowns in the Mediterranean while Sara has crossed the Messina
strait to Sicily – in the meantime 4 other captive bred Egyptian vultures were
- 09/08/2015 - New paper published on the role of supplementary feeding on the
conservation of Egyptian vultures in France
- 09/05/2015 - Today it is the International Vulture
Awareness Day, and VCF has a message - Ban killer drug diclofenac or Europe’s
vultures may face extinction!
- 09/03/2015 - Spreading the word – vultures are
beautiful, necessary and endangered! International Vulture Awareness Day, 5th
- 09/02/2015 - Help spread
awareness on vultures – share your vulture pictures with National Geographic!
- 08/27/2015 - News on the two captive bred Egyptian vultures released last week in
- 08/25/2015 - Two captive
bred Egyptian vultures released in Italy
- 08/22/2015 - The first baby Griffon Vulture born in the Balkan Mountains for almost a
century baptized as Michel – a deserved celebration of one of VCF´s mentors
- 08/19/2015 - Vultures in West and Central Africa threatened by trade for bushmeat and
- 08/17/2015 - Egyptian Vultures found breeding in Niger
- 08/16/2015 - New paper
discusses supplementary feeding programs for European vultures, and makes recommendations
for the management of vulture feeding sites
- 08/13/2015 - New paper
published on risks of anti-parasitic veterinary products to bearded vultures
- 08/12/2015 - At least six black vultures found dead near waste
treatment plant in central Spain
- 08/11/2015 - Fly Esperanza
- 08/10/2015 - Bearded vultures in Corsica and in Crete – an update
- 08/08/2015 - Call for volunteers for the 2015
Alpine summering griffon vulture census – 22 August 2015
- 08/03/2015 - Another Egyptian vulture
poisoned in Greece
- 08/02/2015 - New paper published on
feather moult in bearded vultures
- 08/01/2015 - The bearded vulture in the French Pyrenees in 2014
- 07/31/2015 - Griffon with tongue protruding from the neck observed
- 07/30/2015 - The first
wild bearded vulture chick to be born in southern Spain in the last 30 years
already has a name: Esperanza (Hope)
- 07/29/2015 - Tizón is spending its first summer in Mauritania
- 07/25/2015 - Bearded vulture seen
in Corfu- rare observation of this species in the Balkan Peninsula, where it is
- 07/23/2015 - And it makes 15! Last young bearded vulture of the year to
be released tomorrow in Andalucía
- 07/22/2015 - Name the first wild
bearded vulture chick to be born in southern Spain in the last 30 years!
- 07/21/2015 - Proposed status changes for six species of African vulture
- 07/19/2015 - Poison and lead are the main cause of
vulture deaths in the French Pyrenees
- 07/18/2015 - The view from the other VCF office
- 07/17/2015 - First black
vulture chick hatched in the wild in southern Portugal for more than 40 years
ringed and tagged
- 07/16/2015 - Captive breeding in
the Egyptian vulture – a relevant conservation tool for future reintroduction
or restocking projects?
- 07/15/2015 - Declaration from the workshop to develop a flyway
action plan for the Egyptian vulture populations in the Balkans, Turkey, Central Asia & the Caucasus published
- 07/14/2015 - Restoring the bearded
vulture across Europe – another great season! Most of the released young have
- 07/13/2015 - First bearded vulture to be born in the wild in
Andalusia in the 21st century marked with GPS and rings
- 07/10/2015 - Planning towards
safeguarding Egyptian vultures across the eastern Flyway (Balkans, Turkey &
Central Asia, Middle East and Africa)
- 07/03/2015 - New success in captive breeding of the endangered Canary Islands
Egyptian vulture (Guirre)
- 06/29/2015 - Schils
is back at home – or how bearded vultures promote excellent international
- 06/26/2015 - And it is born! Black vulture chick hatches in
Southern Portugal, the first such occurrence for more than 40 years in the
- 06/23/2015 - Bearded
vultures released in Alpi Marittime got GPS tags – and a visit by an old gentleman!
- 06/23/2015 - Six griffon vultures released back to nature
- 06/22/2015 - Fourteen released, one to go! One young bearded vulture released
this weekend in Andalusia
- 06/20/2015 - A
scatter of bearded vultures in northern Europe!
- 06/19/2015 - New study published
yesterday shows that African vultures are declining at a critical rate, and
heading towards extinction
- 06/14/2015 - The
problem of poisoning in the Balkans and its impact on vulture conservation debated
at a workshop
- 06/10/2015 - Vultures
INDEED return! First successful breeding of griffon vulture in the Central
Balkan Mountains for more than 70 years!
- 06/08/2015 - The bearded vulture greets the cyclists in the Critérium du
- 06/04/2015 - Four more young bearded vultures will be released this weekend –
two in Andalucía and two in the Italian Alps
- 05/30/2015 - Three young bearded vultures will be released tomorrow in the
- 05/28/2015 - The status of the griffon vulture (Gyps
fulvus) in Italy in 2014: population further increased to 135 breeding
- 05/26/2015 - Two young bearded vultures will be released Thursday in the Hohe
Tauern National Park (Austria)
- 05/20/2015 - Release of bearded vultures in Cazorla a huge success!
- 05/17/2015 - Two young bearded vultures will be
released tomorrow in the Grands Causses
- 05/16/2015 - Unique footage of the first wild bearded vulture in
Andalusia for more than 30 years – today two more young were released in the
reintroduction project there
- 05/15/2015 - Two bearded vultures will be released tomorrow in Andalucía
- 05/14/2015 - Young bearded vulture
still in Northwest Germany
- 05/13/2015 - Restoration of the bearded vulture in Europe – this year’s
releases will start soon!
- 05/10/2015 - The silent killer strikes again – this time in Portugal and with a big
- 05/09/2015 - Bearded
vulture breeding season in the Alps - an update
- 05/08/2015 - Young bearded vulture first seen in Holland continuing its journey through Europe – now in northern Germany
- 05/06/2015 - Tizón & western Mali – a love affair
- 05/05/2015 - Young bearded vulture observed in the Netherlands!
- 05/03/2015 - Not quite the royal baby, but cute
nonetheless - Baby griffon born in Israel from Cretan vultures
- 04/28/2015 - The VCF boards met at
Parc des Oiseaux
- 04/22/2015 - Two permanently wounded griffons travel from Portugal to France for captive
- 04/20/2015 - African vulture seen in Switzerland!
- 04/18/2015 - And in the end, there is the sacred bearded vulture!
- 04/16/2015 - One adult bearded vulture found dead in the French
Alps – and another one shot at (and seriously wounded) in the French Pyrenees
- 04/14/2015 - Noel-Leya is flying again - the young bearded vulture was re-released successfuly in the Swiss Alps
- 04/13/2015 - Eurasian black vultures from Spain arrived well in
Verdon & Baronnies (France) and are already in the acclimatisation aviaries
- 04/11/2015 - Vulture conservation in action! VCF is transporting
this weekend black vultures from Spain to France
- 04/09/2015 - From Vallcalent
to Ostrava Zoo, via Vienna – the adventures of a bearded vulture chick in
the bearded vulture reintroduction project
- 04/08/2015 - Bearded vulture chick hatches in Cazorla – another milestone in this
fantastic project to restore the species in Andalucia
- 04/07/2015 - Eurasian black vultures nesting again in southern
Portugal after an absence of 40 years
- 04/03/2015 - Famous Egyptian vulture Igdir found dead in Ethiopia after
flying 60,000 km in three years
- 04/02/2015 - 14
gipeti e 66 aquile reali: un
resoconto del 22 censimento del Parco Nazionale dello Stelvio
- 04/02/2015 - 22nd census of the Stelvio
14 bearded vultures & 66
golden eagles counted
- 04/01/2015 - 25 and counting – 2015 could be the best
season ever in the bearded vulture captive breeding network!
- 03/25/2015 - Injured wild
bearded vulture recovered successfully at the Vallcalent rehabilitation center
- 03/21/2015 - Egyptian vultures that have wintered in Extremadura
still in the region
- 03/19/2015 - News from the bearded
vulture captive breeding network
- 03/17/2015 - Tizón is still in western Mali
- 03/14/2015 - The silent killer
strikes again – this time in Israel. Four griffon and two black vultures found
poisoned in a rare case in the country
- 03/13/2015 - Captive breeding of Egyptian vultures – results from 2014
- 03/12/2015 - Another chick born
in the bearded vulture captive breeding network –and with it days of intensive
- 03/10/2015 - Prominent Serbian vulture researcher launches today book about griffon
- 03/09/2015 - Another mass
poisoning of vultures in Asia – at least 20 Himalayan griffon vultures dead in India
- 03/07/2015 - Egyptian vultures still hanging on in Cape Verde! VCF, CIBIO and
University of Cape Verde started a survey of the rare species in the
- 03/05/2015 - Italian experts
and conservation managers discussed the pros and cons of feeding stations for
scavenger bird species
- 02/27/2015 - Come and meet the VCF at
this weekend´s FIO (International Birdwatching Fair) (Monfrague, Spain)
- 02/25/2015 - VCF and
Junta de Extremadura start a new project to monitor a unique wintering
population of Egyptian Vulture in Iberia
- 02/24/2015 - The miracle of LIFE in
the bearded vulture captive breeding network
- 02/22/2015 - Breeding season 2015 – and another chick
hatched in Tierpark Goldau
- 02/18/2015 - GYPAS project: 12 more griffon vultures
released last week to restock the endangered population in Cyprus
- 02/17/2015 - Hatching bearded vultures - busy times at the captive
- 02/14/2015 - Breaking news – the pair of bearded vultures that has built a nest in
Cazorla (Andalucia) has now laid eggs!
- 02/12/2015 - On Kirma and commitment to a cause – how intensive
care and a lot of expertise rehabilitated a severely injured bearded vulture back
- 02/11/2015 - End of an
era - one of the most prolific bearded vultures in our captive breeding network
died on the same day his last chick hatched.
- 02/09/2015 - Bearded Vulture monitoring report for the French Alps - Life GypHelp
- 02/05/2015 - The VCF and prominent Spanish scientists alert to a new threat to Iberian
vultures – the proposal to eliminate all
by-products of hunted wild ungulates
- 02/04/2015 - Vultures die of old age too – female bearded vulture left us
at age 49!
- 02/02/2015 - Tizón and Mali - a love affair
- 01/30/2015 - The Junta de Andalusia gives 13 Eurasian Black
Vultures for the reintroduction projects and the captivity-breeding programme
- 01/27/2015 - The silent killer
strikes again – at least 5 cinereous vultures (Aegypius monachus) and 3 griffon vultures (Gyps fulvus) poisoned in eastern Turkey
- 01/26/2015 - New study on the diet of
the Egyptian vulture in the Balkans suggests that breeding productivity is not
related to food
- 01/23/2015 - The mystery
of the orange colour in bearded vultures. What benefits
do birds get from bathing in iron oxid-rich mud?
- 01/21/2015 - Tizón is back to western Mali
- 01/20/2015 - New papers on bearded vulture home ranges in the
Pyrenees and Southern Africa
- 01/18/2015 - Good news from Algeria – bearded vultures
seem to hang on in the country!
- 01/15/2015 - Taking care of precious eggs – the next generation of wild bearded
- 01/14/2015 - Annual
simultaneous survey of griffon vultures in Cyprus: 15 birds counted
- 01/08/2015 - VCF´s new advisory service to the bearded
vulture captive breeding network produces first results – several aviaries have
been significantly improved!
- 01/02/2015 - Happy New Year Tizón!
- 12/25/2014 - Bearded
vulture makes Xmas appearance in Madrid
- 12/23/2014 - Tizón is spending Xmas in Senegal!
- 12/22/2014 - Father Xmas brought some great presents –
fist eggs laid in the bearded vulture captive breeding network!
- 12/20/2014 - Record year for black vultures in Mallorca – 25 pairs and 16 young
fledged. Species has recovered from almost extinction in the early 80s
- 12/18/2014 - EMA says veterinary diclofenac does pose a risk to European
vultures, and suggests a number of solutions, including a ban of the drug –
- 12/09/2014 - Have you ever seen a pig flying? Or a griffon with a
- 12/07/2014 - Egyptian vulture
tagged in Eastern Turkey overwinters in Kenya
- 12/05/2014 - Scientific community suggest that weak environmental assessments of
veterinary drugs undermine regulations and can cause a vulture ecological disaster
- 12/03/2014 - Burkina Faso? No thanks – let me go back to my preferred
spot in Mali – or the incredible voyage of Tizón, the young Egyptian vulture
- 12/01/2014 - On vultures, rotting food, and nasty germs - new
research on the bacteria living on vultures
- 11/28/2014 - 34 griffon vultures are on their way from Extremadura (Spain)
to Bulgaria, to be released in the Stara Planina Mountains
- 11/25/2014 - Vultures need you – please write
to your MEPs about veterinary diclofenac
- 11/24/2014 - Tizón does a left turn – he is now on the border with
- 11/19/2014 - New paper makes recommendations regarding the management of vulture
feeding stations to benefit endangered species
- 11/18/2014 - Vultures (and other things!) galore at
Turkey feeding station
- 11/16/2014 - One step closer to ban vet diclofenac in the EU – CMS makes landmark political decision on the matter and recommends its prohibition
- 11/14/2014 - Tizón moves further south – he is now close to Bamako
- 11/12/2014 - Breaking news – Pair of bearded vultures build nest in Cazorla, 30 years
after the last nesting in the wild
- 11/10/2014 - Record year in the
bearded vulture alpine reintroduction project: 31 territories and 19 young
fledged in the wild, the highest ever
- 11/01/2014 - Tizón has been enjoying Mali
- 10/30/2014 - Bearded vulture captive breeding network - busy times preparing the next breeding season! Prague Zoo has just received a new adult pair
- 10/29/2014 - New paper highlights the importance of Afar region in Ethiopia for wintering Egyptian vultures
- 10/27/2014 - Thank you to all volunteers that have joined us in the International Bearded Vulture Observation Days!
- 10/23/2014 - The Middle-East – a sink for vultures
- 10/22/2014 - Nature´s editorial: Europe must act to stop livestock drugs from wiping out its vulture populations
- 10/20/2014 - Significant contributions to document the impact of the trade in vulture parts for traditional medicine in Africa published
- 10/18/2014 - Project buseu - how vultures are helping recover an abandoned village
- 10/17/2014 - NATURE reports on diclofenac, other veterinary drugs and vultures
- 10/15/2014 - New study shows that African bearded vulture populations have reduced genetic variability and have little interpopulation variability
- 10/15/2014 - Ouf – still alive! Tizón the Egyptian vulture is already in Mali!
- 10/13/2014 - VCF and Generalitat of Catalonia sign important agreement for the conservation of Bearded Vultures
- 10/11/2014 - New paper published with first reported case of a griffon vulture being killed by a veterinary drug in Spain
- 10/08/2014 - VCF submits reasoned opinion for the public consultation on veterinary diclofenac
- 10/07/2014 - Veterinary diclofenac in Europe – we know what it did to India´s vultures & there is an alternative – so WHY?
- 10/05/2014 - Vultures in Europe – a future foretold?
- 10/04/2014 - Tizón, the young Egyptian vulture released in Extremadura, is already in Southern Morocco
- 10/03/2014 - The Alps International Bearded Vulture Observation Days are coming - join us & 600 other volunteers on 10-19 October!
- 10/02/2014 - Great year for bearded vultures in Crete – five young from five breeding pairs!
- 09/30/2014 - Young Egyptian vulture released last week in Extremadura is already in central Morocco
- 09/25/2014 - Young Egyptian Vulture found injured released with a tag in Extremadura (Spain)
- 09/24/2014 - The International Bearded Vulture Observation Days are coming: 10-19 October. Join us!
- 09/20/2014 - Significant breakthrough in the battle to ban veterinary diclofenac – Europe announces a Public Consultation.
- 09/17/2014 - New review article on the effects of lead on wildlife published. Lead poisoning is a significant threat to vultures – VCF is working on the matter
- 09/16/2014 - Misterious vulture from southern Spain is after all a Rueppell´s
- 09/15/2014 - Helping hand from the other side of the Atlantic - vulture fans from Georgia (US) fundraise for the Vulture Conservation Foundation
- 09/10/2014 - The VCF has promoted vulture conservation across Europe during the International Vulture Awareness Day
- 09/08/2014 - Good news on the International Vulture Awareness Day: Junta de Extremadura reveals that the black vulture population has increased
- 09/04/2014 - Two captive-bred black vultures will be released this weekend in France – when the world celebrates International Vulture Awareness Day
- 09/03/2014 - African white-backed vulture seen in Portugal
- 09/02/2014 - New LIFE project on bearded vulture in the French Alps will be launched on the International Vulture Awareness Day
- 09/01/2014 - International Vulture Awareness Day is this weekend. Let´s all celebrate vultures!
- 08/25/2014 - Poison – the silent killer. Unseen, undetected and underreported, poison is nevertheless here, as some figures recently released in Spain show
- 08/23/2014 - One more Egyptian vulture found poisoned in France
- 08/21/2014 - Bearded vulture and hydropower in the Swiss Alps - a good vote!
- 08/19/2014 - Vet diclofenac in Europe- While the EU Commission drags its feet; the issue remains very much alive in the minds of Europeans.
- 08/18/2014 - Breeding population of Griffon Vulture Gyps fulvus in Serbia slowly increasing
- 08/14/2014 - Five Rueppell´s vultures observed together in Portugal
- 08/12/2014 - Three new bearded vulture pairs in the French Pyrenees!
- 08/11/2014 - Bearded vulture shot in France – sad reminder that direct persecution is still very much a threat in some parts of Europe
- 08/06/2014 - Now online: information and guidelines about the european black vulture captive breeding network (EEP)
- 08/02/2014 - VCF film on the bearded vulture reintroduction project in the Alps now in Italian, Spanish and French
- 07/26/2014 - Bearded vulture reintroduction projects in Europe: 9 young released this year in 4 sites in Austria, Switzerland, France and Spain
- 07/24/2014 - Bearded vulture uplisted from Least Concern to Near Threatened at global level in the 2014 IUCN bird red list update
- 07/20/2014 - Corsica: Juvenile bearded vulture tagged successfully for the second consecutive year
- 07/19/2014 - VCF new poster – griffon vulture reintroduction in the Balkans
- 07/18/2014 - Vultures & diclofenac in today´s Tages Anzeiger (in German)
- 07/17/2014 - Bearded vultures in Stelvio National Park and the Ötztal Alps (Italy)
- 07/16/2014 - IUCN Director-General adds her voice to the VCF campaign to ban veterinary diclofenac
- 07/15/2014 - Egyptian vulture – decline in the Balkans continuing
- 07/15/2014 - Two more Egyptian vultures tagged in Eastern Turkey in a VCF-supported project
- 07/13/2014 - Well known vulture and raptor traders imprisoned
- 07/07/2014 - Casseur d´os – twenty years old and going strong
- 07/04/2014 - Schils and Noel-Leya are getting independent
- 07/02/2014 - New significant breeding nucleus of Egyptian Vultures found in Turkey
- 06/30/2014 - Thousands of French farmers, livestock breeders and hunters protest in the Pyrenees against the rewilding of the mountains
- 06/29/2014 - Tagged Egyptian vulture killed for the traditional medicine trade in West Africa
- 06/28/2014 - New paper published on the spatial ecology of the endangered Egyptian vulture in Spain
- 06/27/2014 - New improved guidelines for captive breeding of bearded vultures have just been published by the VCF
- 06/25/2014 - And here we go to a new life – bearded vultures released in the Grands Causses fledged!
- 06/22/2014 - Indian vulture conservationist makes emotive plea to FATRO - please stop manufacturing diclofenac!
- 06/15/2014 - Two more Egyptian vultures tagged in Eastern Turkey in a VCF supported project
- 06/10/2014 - The Wildlife Conservation Society, the Society for Conservation Biology & the British Veterinary Zoological Society all alert to the dangers of diclofenac
- 06/04/2014 - Three new papers published recently on bearded vultures worldwide - New data confirms worrying declines in Southern Africa and the Himalayas
- 06/03/2014 - One more massive vulture poisoning incident reported from Africa: 92 vultures died in Botswana
- 06/02/2014 - Bringing the bearded vulture back to the Andalusian mountains: Three young were released last Saturday in Cazorla
- 05/30/2014 - Bringing the bearded vulture back to the Alps - two young have been released yesterday in the Calfeisental (Switzerland)
- 05/29/2014 - Diclofenac threat to vultures featured in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
- 05/28/2014 - African Raptors Newsletter #4
- 05/27/2014 - New evidence published today shows that veterinary diclofenac kills eagles too
- 05/26/2014 - Two young bearded vultures have been released last Friday in Hohe Tauern National Park (Austria)
- 05/25/2014 - New VCF film on the bearded vulture reintroduction project in the Alps
- 05/20/2014 - Two young bearded vultures have been released today in the Grands Causses
- 05/20/2014 - Breeding season in the bearded vulture captive breeding network finished – results mixed, but releases into the wild about to star
- 05/17/2014 - Bearded vulture pair in Vanoise National Park fails to breed because of human disturbance
- 05/15/2014 - The UK Veterinary Medicines Directorate issues an important warning on veterinary diclofenac
- 05/14/2014 - Listen to an interview with the VCF on diclofenac on Radio New Zealand
- 05/10/2014 - 120 black vultures at the feeding station in Turkey
- 05/08/2014 - Bearded Vultures seen in Extremadura (Western Spain)
- 05/07/2014 - African vultures & poison - dramatic biodiversity crisis with as yet uncharted human health consequences
- 04/28/2014 - New film: Commissioner Borg, please ban veterinary diclofenac!
- 04/24/2014 - Three adopted bearded vulture chicks growing well in Austria – see the video
- 04/21/2014 - VCF is supporting Turkey´s only regularly functioning vulture feeding station
- 04/17/2014 - Diclofenac in Europe – the battle rages on!
- 04/15/2014 - Junta de Andalucia and VCF organise workshop on the African vultures poison crisis
- 04/07/2014 - Breaking News: Research suggests that Egyptian vultures may also be susceptible to Diclofenac
- 04/04/2014 - VCF participates in a training course on police and forensic investigation of poising incidents in nature
- 04/01/2014 - VCF reviews the last year and plans more exciting vulture conservation work